Wednesday, February 22, 2012

As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth By Lynne Rae Perkins

I don't remember how I came across this title, but I suggested it to my 12-year-old who needed to find literary devices in a novel.  It is full of metaphors, hyperboles, similies, etc.  When I talked to him about it he said he didn't really like it.  He thought it was kind of boring.  But we both agreed that there are so many mysteries you want to finish the book.

The story begins with Ry, who is travelling on a train to summer camp.  His parents are vacationing in the Caribbean, and his grandpa is housesitting.  Of course they have just moved into a new house, so he doesn't really know his neighbors or have friends at his new location.  He has just discovered that the camp is no longer going to be held, and he is desperately trying to get in touch with someone to figure out what to do.  While he's trying to get a cell phone signal, the train leaves without him, and the adventure begins.

I think Lynne Rae Perkins has a unique writing style.  I liked her clever chapter titles and intermittant illustrations.  But the story was kind of too much for me.  Everything that could go wrong does.  Ships sink, cell phones are left, cars break down.  And ultimately, Ry makes decisions over and over again that I think are crazy!  As a partent it's hard to get past him accepting rides from strangers, sleeping in crummy conditions or cutting of his lifejacket!  I would have thought it would be more appealing to younger readers, but as mentioned above, my son found it boring too.  She won a Newberry medal for another book she wrote, so I might pick it up sometime out of curiousity to see if it was just her subject that bugged me.

Has anyone else read this?  I saw some glowing reviews that kind of surprised me.  I think it's one to skip.

2 comments:

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

guess I'll skip it too. Some of those reviews could have been paid for. I was sent a book a few weeks ago to read and put reviews on good reads, amazon, and my blog. Then I would get $27. Legally they can't tell you to give a good review, but if you're being pain, you feel a little pressure. The book was awful, so I just wrote back and said that since I couldn't give a positive revwiew, I wouldn't give any. I google to see what other's left and I am sure the only way they wrote good reviews is that they were paid. Although maybe they all just have poor taste is books:)

Kammy T said...

It wasn't horrible. And she did win an award for another book, it just wasn't that great for me.

I like your integrity. I think you made the right choice!