Friday, June 6, 2008

Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje


I have to say that I just don't get into this style of writing. Or maybe I mean form. I haven't read this author before, so I don't know if this is typically how he writes his books.


Here's what I mean. The book begins with a family, two sisters their father and a farm hand that has basically been raised by the father. So you read several chapters about the family and how a tragic event affects them. It flashes to different times in the future and what the characters are doing. Then there is a section that follows a character from one of the girl's stories, there is one more flash forward to her sister, then the next section goes way back in time in the life of one of the other characters. Nothing more about the original story.


I honestly didn't want to finish it when I realized that I had about 30 pages left and it was all going to be about Segura the writer. I just felt more emotionally attached to the first family and their stories. Not even an ounce of resolution. The story just ends and you think it will come back and it doesn't.


I liked the way the stories were written, and I like the characters. There's a little too much violence, and a little forced romanticism. Really, people carry herbs in their pockets so they can just pick veggies from the wild and with a loaf of bread make a meal. This happens in more than one instance. Then again I've never been to France.


I know this isn't much of a review, but my feelings were all over the place and I thought the book was too. I won't be rushing to read his other books.

No comments: