Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


I can't believe this has been out for 5 years and I never knew it. Obviously other people have heard of it: Tina Fey mentioned it on 30 Rock this week, and in my researching of Twilight, Stephenie Meyer praised it.

Recommendation
I would recommend this with hesitation because of the creepiness.

Overall Impression
This is the book Graham bought for my stocking. When a 14-year-old is assaulted and murdered in the first chapter, I thought, "Seriously? How long have we been married?" But I did finish this book, and I like several things about it. I thought the point of view was creative. I thought, though painful, the affects of the death were realistic. The characters were interesting. I thought the author's interpretation of heaven was sweet.

Loved
When things randomly showed up in Susie's heaven because she had been subconsiously longing for them: like the dogs.

Hated
Mr. Harvey, duh. The way that the author had to try to show his twisted childhood. She didn't seem to be trying to justify his behavior, but maybe just humanize him.
I didn't want to read about it.
I also hated the title. The quote in the book it came from was weak. I thought it was forced and didn't fit it.

4 comments:

Emmie-Lew said...

I LOVE 30 ROCK! I missed the reference by Tina Fey, though. I don't know if I would like a creepy book... I'll have to read more about this one. Sean Hannity mentioned a book called "90 Minutes in Heaven" (By Don Piper)on talk radio today. Have you heard of that one? It's about a guy who spent 90 minutes in heaven before being revived after a major car accident. I'm curious enough to check it out.
I just finished "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. It's a true story, and was a little creepy, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I read it in Africa- I think I might have liked just about any book I read there! :)

Kelly M said...

Em- Richard and I listened to The Innocent Man on our drive to UT this summer and then left it with Ben to listen to on his commute. It's quite the interesting story, especially since it's true. It's a murder mystery, so it's a little creepy, but the emphasis in on the suspects, not the murder, so not too bad. I would recommend it too.

Julie E. said...

Fun blog Kammy!!! I could talk (write) about books all day long!!

I really didn't like this book at all - too graphic for me. Won't go into details about the ending so as not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it and wants to, but ...YIKES! Definitely creepy!

Erik just finished 'The Innocent Man' and really enjoyed it.

Kammy T said...

I can't believe I forgot to write about the part I hated the most. I actually skimmed it. It was the body-swapping "Ghost" type scene. So un-necessary and unbelieveable.