Monday, August 31, 2009

Step-Ball-Change by Jeanne Ray


It's impossible not to compare this book to Eat Cake, by the same author. And I think I'd still recommend Eat Cake as the better story. Both begin with a group of people thrown together in the midst of tragedies, who help each other out, and for the most part become better people and solve each other's problems.

That being said, I liked this book. It has a happy, tidy ending. The characters have a good sense of humor about themselves. The family relationships are great. There is a lot of discussion about marriage, and I think much of what is said is insightful.

It was hard for me to imagine Caroline as 62. But I love that she was. She has two sons, a daughter, then a son just like me. I love to think that my kids would be stopping by and sharing their problems with me 28 years in the future.

I love when she talked about dancing, and how that had been her love in life.

4 comments:

kim said...

hey kam!!
so a little belated w/this, but just wanted to thank you for the recommendation for the guernsey literary society book. i loved it, very creative and fun! how are you?

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Kammy---how do you decide what you'll read next? Where do you hear of these books? Do you usually buy them or get them from the library? I've never heard of Jeanne Ray, but think I'll try her "Eat Cake" first. (per your recommendation as liking it best)

Kammy T said...

Aunt Sharlene, my friend picked Eat Cake for our book club last year and I loved it. I almost always get my books from the library and go off friend recommendations, or authors that I love! Luckily most of my family and friends read a lot and have different books to recommend!

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Thanks, Kammy---I'm heading to my local library to "eat cake." :)