Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix


So. I finally finished #5. I have to say it was the hardest for me to get into. I hated how there was NOTHING good for so long. I just felt discouraged reading it, thinking, how can this possibly get worse. Then it would. I was particularly disturbed by the Umberidge detentions and how Harry felt ashamed and didn't' want to tell anyone.

The books are getting dark. It's not the witchcraft and dark magic that bother me, it's the good versus evil. I just like for the good guys, especially kids, to have a resourse. It just felt like Harry was being isolated from any kind of support and that upset me.

I know I'm naive. I realize there are lots of people in horrible situations, I'm just not sure I want to read 1,000's of pages about it.

That said. I did enjoy the unraveling of this book at the end. I'm still a fan of the characters. I feel like I finally know them a bit better. They are filling out and becoming less of cartoons to me. I think J.K. Rowling is an excellent writer.

I prefer the more concise length of the first couple books. I think the same story could be told a bit quicker. I am still frustrated by the limits and limitless of the magic. There are no rules, so you never know what they will or will not be able to do with magic.

OK. I'm off to start #6, and I think we're going to see the movie tomorrow night.

Oh, and about the movies. I've seen 2, and I'm not sure how anyone could follow what was going on if they hadn't read the books. But I do think they are well done.

3 comments:

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

#5 was my least favorite too-it's just so depressing. #6 is my faovrite and the only one I've read 2x-Happy Reading

Lori said...

Yup, Harry took a dive here, I thought too. What I couldn't stand was all the teenage angst, "Why me?" Don't worry, it gets better.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Hope you enjoy the movie tonight, Kammy. I think you know that Julie, as well as Lori, has been reading with her boys, and she took the two of them to the midnight premiere showing of it here. :) Good thing school is out. What a mother won't do.

P.S. Love your blog!!