Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

I really liked this book!  I don't know much about Ernest Hemingway and I knew nothing about Hadley, his first wife..  If you're an expert, you might not enjoy reading this fictional account of their romance and life together.  But, I believe Paula McLain really did the research, and sought to portray an accurate but fresh perspective.

The story is great.  Hadley meet Ernest on a trip to Chicago and there is magic.  She was living a dull life, and suddenly she has this connection and as they develop their relationship, I think she becomes the woman she wanted to be.  Or at least starts on that journey.  I liked her from the beginning and found her so relate able.  I like that she was an ordinary woman, and while she points out flashier girls in her circle, she isn't self-deprecating.  She has confidence and feels worthy of her surprise romance.  I hate reading stories of girls who constantly comment that they can't believe their boyfriend/lover/husband would fall in love with them.  Gag.  Hadley isn't that way at all.  She loves her husband and commits herself from the start.

I also like seeing and learning about people before they came into their own.  Hemingway was nothing, he was broke, he was struggling to make friends and get published.  I like seeing that more vulnerable side of someone you know is going to become so successful. 

This is the first book I've read by Paula McLain, and I really like her writing style.  I'm curious if this is how she always writes, or because it is written in first person, if this is the voice she gave Hadley.  Either way, it was great.  For example, "The nest of fish was crisp under a coarse snow of salt and smelled so simple and good I thought it might save my life.  Just a little.  Just for that moment."  Beautiful!

Or this conversation when Hadley was feeling a little lonely for Ernest and maybe sad.
     I sighed. "I think it's going to rain all day."
     "Don't kid yourself.  It's going to rain for a month."
     "Maybe it won't after all."
     He smiled at me.  "All right, Tiny. Maybe it won't."

It must be hard when telling a story that many of your readers have a pretty good idea of the ending, not to painfully foreshadow.  McLain is careful in her writing, so when she does, it's successful.  This is a good example.  "It was the end of Ernest's struggle with apprenticeship, and an end to other things as well.  He would never again be unknown.  We would never again be this happy."
    
In this story, Hadley does a lot of thinking and reflecting on their marriage.  I found the underlying thoughts (not the circumstances) very familiar, and thought provoking.  They meet up with one of Ernest's friends and she comments that he "saw and understood what was good in us." Just like those people who you feel the most yourself around, it's great to have friends that make you feel that way about your marriage.  There are a lot of thoughts she has and soul searching she does toward the end that I thought was really good.  But I can't discuss it without giving too much away.  I'll just tell you that I think she does a lot of things right.

Another thing I found really relate able was Hadley's need to feel connected and to feel successful.  I wish so bad she had worked or had something to fill up her days with when they first go to Paris.  Later she makes time to go out with friends even if she's not in the mood.  I think that is so important!  Simple get togethers and events have saved me so many times.When her friend suggests that she give a piano concert, she thinks  "It would take so much more time and effort..." but then "I began to wonder if a concert might be good for me after all."  And "My playing wouldn't change anything about his habits--I wasn't naive enough to think that--but I thought it might give me my own focus and outlet, beyond the details of Bumby's feeding schedule and exercise regimen." AMEN.  I would give this advice to any woman who stays at home with her kids, find something apart from them to work on and feel successful doing.

Right after they get married, Ernest who had been gravely injured in WWI, tells her:
     "After I was shot, when my head was still in pretty bad shape, a very wise Italian officer told me the only thing to really do for that kind of fear was to get married."
    "So your wife would take care of you?  That's an interesting way to think about marriage."
    "I actually took it to mean that if I could take care of her--you, that is--I'd worry less about myself.  But maybe it works both ways."
    "I'm counting on that," I said.
Maybe this is why things didn't last?  Ernest stopped trying to take care of Hadley and was consumed with taking care of himself.

Read this book.  Really, I think you'll like it.  It's the best thing I've read in a while and has put me back in the mood to devour some books!

P.S. When you're reading you'll probably want to look up photos of Hadley and Hemingway.  Here's a pretty one from her wedding day I found.

12 comments:

Mimaw said...

I read this book a few months ago, after I read "Hemingway's Girl" By Erika Robuck.....wish I had read Paris Wife first.....It made me want to read Hemingway. I enjoy your book reviews....thanks.

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

This has been on my list for awhile, but I've hesitated b/c I know there is no happily ever after. Maybe I'll brave it.

Kammy T said...

Tara--I think Hadley's story ends happily eventually. Not poor Ernest's.

Wendy said...

I really enjoyed this book as well. Great writing style and I found it in interesting look into the life of an amazing author.

kim said...

Kam...it has been way too long since I've visited your blog and loved this review, can't wait to read it. on a side note...cool name for a girl "Hadley".

kim said...

Kam...it has been way too long since I've visited your blog and loved this review, can't wait to read it. on a side note...cool name for a girl "Hadley".

Kim P. Edwards said...

I really want to read this - thanks for posting, Kammy!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I found you! Tara sent me over to check out some good books

Amy said...

I just finished this one today and I'm glad I took your recommendation. I loved that even though it wasn't a "happily ever after" Hadley was okay, even happy in the end. I appreciated how reflective she was about herself and her marriage, certainly a girl after my own heart! I really liked how at the very end she answers the question of would it have been better if she hadn't married Ernest. I love that she realizes in the end that she was a lucky girl even with that heartbreak in her journey.

Indian fashion clothing said...

so cool post thanks for sharing sarees online shopping cash on delivery |
factory direct wholesale clothing india
sarees of bengal |
wholesale sarees online cash on delivery |

Florence said...

I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

OYAMA CURED ME FROM HERPES said...

I have never thought herbal medicine could cure herpes. However it wouldn't have been possible for me to gain my health back without the kind support and help of the doctor. I would like to extend my golden sincere thanks to the doctor who helped me with his herbal medicine which he sent to me through DHL courier services. It is germane. I start by introducing the great herbalist doctor who is so powerful and good in herbal medicine to cure any kind of illness. I am highly indebted to doctor Oyama for his help in curing me of herpes with his herbs. Don't let anyone deceive you because I am a living testimony. The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary is the "Extra" My dear friends go for the Extra and regain your health back to normal again with doctor Oyama herbs. You can give it a try by purchasing doctor Oyama herbs through his WhatsApp number: +2348108264684 or via email droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com