Monday, April 30, 2012

The Truth About Sparrows by Marian Hale

I enjoyed reading this sweet, easy book.  It takes place in 1933, centering on Sadie who is 12.  Her family has been forced to sell their house, leave precious belongings and head West in an attempt to make ends meet.  I think the characters and story are nice.  It's  predictible and sometimes seems to try a little too hard to get all the historical details in.

I enjoyed reading the story.  I haven't ever read about families during this time making a living fishing or living in this area (Texas), so it was a fresh take to a familiar theme.  I think what I liked best was the growth and self-reflections of Sadie.  She has made a promise to her best friend that even though they have both moved far away they will remain loyal.  She takes this seriously, and I liked reading as she figures out what that means.  Sadie also has to come to terms with her new situation in life.  She reacts poorly to teasing and lashes out at her new friends.  I think this is such a common thing for kids this age and I think the author addresses and resolves it in a realistic and helpful way.

I recommend this book.  I think it is a great piece of historical fiction for younger readers!

1 comment:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

Great review, Kammy. As always, I come away wanting to read what you've just reviewed.